Wednesday, February 11, 2009

BPA

I have been harboring doubt about plastic bottles and containers for a good while now.  I didn't really know if they were to be avoided, but I could not get away from the feeling that they should be avoided.  


Today I read a review of a University of Rochester Study that at the very least casts plastic, or more specifically Bisphenol-A, a chemical used in plastic hardening in a disparaging light.  

It turns out that the chemical stays in our bodies far longer then first imagined.  BPA in the body is not decisively understood, but there is some association with higher levels of heart disease and diabetes, as well as birth defects.  The Rochester study has shown that either a) we are ingesting BPA from other sources, such as air or water, and/or b) there is BPA in our food (plastic containers being the source).  

On this one, I would err on the side of caution.  It may be time to switch to ceramic water jugs people.

No comments: